This is what we can do for you (Det här kan du få hjälp med)

Svensk version av sidan

This is an information about what Habilitering & Hälsa (Habilitation & Health) can help you with. You may need help with several things or just one. Your needs may change during different periods of life. The text is written in an easy to read language (lättläst).

Habilitation can help people with disabilities to cope better in life and in the everyday life. We can also provide support to your relatives.

Community support

Other organisations than Habilitering & Hälsa can provide different types of support to people with disabilities. The support can come from, e.g., the municipality (kommun), the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan), the school or the university. The habilitation clinics knows what support is available and how to apply for it.

School, work, and employment

It is important that the school or employment is working well. Many people need special support when they are at school or at work. For example, you may need a quiet and calm environment. Sometimes others need to learn more about your disability, such as teachers or supervisors. The habilitation clinics can provide advice on what can be done.

Motor skills and movement

Motor skills are about all the movements of the body. If you have difficulties with certain movements, you may need assistance. For example, it could be a wheelchair or a wrist support.

The habilitation clinic can also help you train your balance or your ability to move. We can work on finding good postures when you lie down, sit up or stand.

Breathing and swallowing 

Some disabilities affect breathing. In such cases the habilitation clinic can improve the breathing function.

If you have difficulties chewing and swallowing, the habilitation clinic can find ways to make it easier. 

Pain and sensory impressions

Some disabilities cause you pain. You can get stiff and tense. The habilitation clinic can work with pain due to your disability.

We can also help you if you are very sensitive to sensory impressions. For example, it may be that you have difficulties with certain sounds or light, sensitivity of the skin or with certain foods.

A functioning everyday life

If you have difficulties making life at home work, we can help you in various ways. It may involve finding aids and other support that make it easier. It may involve creating good habits to take care of your home and hygiene.

We can also help you with time management and what you can do in your everyday life.

Language and communication

You need to be able to understand others. And others need to understand what you want. The habilitation clinics can find great ways for you to communicate and use language. It can be through sign language or image support instead of speaking and writing. There are also other ways to use language, such as speech tools.

If you can speak but still have difficulties understanding others or being understood, we can  help you with it.

Relationships and socialising with others

Your disability may affect how you interact with other people. You may need help in understanding how others think and function. Or you may consider how they perceive you. We can help you find ways to socialise in a way that suit you.

It may also concern parenthood. You can talk to us about how things work with your children. 

Health and living habits

Your disability can affect your health. We can help you find habits that are good for you, now and later. For example, it could be your eating habits or exercise.

We can also help you with your sleep, stress, anxiety, loneliness and questions about sex. 

Problematic behaviours

Sometimes you do things that are not good for you or others. It may concern hurting yourself, frightening others, being violent or destroying things. The habilitation clinics can help children and adults. And we can work together to change that.

Knowledge of your disability

It is important to understand and have knowledge of your disability. We can help you and your family to learn more about your disability and how it affects you. Then it is easier for you and for us to know what specific support you need.

Having a disability can make you feel different. It can also be difficult to be depending on others. You can talk to us about how you feel about your life.

Support for relatives

If you are a relative of a child or an adult with a disability, you can recieve support from the habilitation clinics. This applies to you as a parent, sibling, partner or child of a person with a disability.

You who live in residential centres

If you live in a residential centre (gruppbostad) or have a work-like daily activity (daglig verksamhet), you have the right to receive a part of your habilitation care through your local municipality. Talk to your staff or your contact person.