Apply for habilitation (Ansök om habilitering)

Svensk version av sidan

Habilitering & Hälsa (Habilitation & Health) provides support and assistance to children and adults with disabilities . We also provide support to relatives. Medical care such as habilitation is free of charge. The text is written in an easy to read language (lättläst).

Who can get support?

Habilitering & Hälsa is part of the Region Stockholm organisation. We provide support for:

  • ADHD in children and young people up to 25 years of age
  • autism
  • deafness or severe hearing loss in adults who use sign language
  • deafblindness
  • acquired brain injury
  • intellectual disability
  • mobility impairment.

How to apply

The most common way to apply for habilitation is with a referral from a doctor or psychologist. You can also apply yourself.

In order to receive habilitation, you need a medical certificate or a copy of your medical records describing your disability. You will be granted it after a medicalinvestigation. This investigation is made at a healthcare centre (vårdcentral) or a psychiatric out-patient clinic.

Most people apply for habilitation at one of our local habilitation centres (habiliteringscenter). There are 17 habilitation centres in Stockholm County.

You can apply at You can also mail an application form to the clinic you want to apply to. You can also call the preferred clinic. A relative, LSS administrator or telephone interpreter can assist you when you apply.

After application or referral

You will receive a letter inviting you to an introduction meeting no later than 30 days after we have received the referral or application.

Asylum seekers

Children, 0-17 years of age, who are asylum seekers or do not have a residence permit, have the right to habilitation, if it is of great importance for health.

Adults, who are asylum seekers or do not have a residence permit, are not entitled to habilitation.