Having children and a disability of your own (Om du har barn och har funktionsnedsättning)

Svensk version av sidan

If you have children, it is good idea to talk to your child about your disability. It can help you to understand each other and make everyday life easier. The text is written in an easy to read language (lättläst).

It is important for you as a parent and adult to listen to children's questions and thoughts. It is important to talk to your child about your disability.

You can talk about different situations where the disability affects your family. It may be, for instance, explaining what happens if you get stressed. The children need to understand for themselves and be able to explain it to friends and others.

What can the habilitation clinics (habiliteringscenter) do?

The habilitation clinics can support you when talking to your child about your disability. We can talk to you, with your child or with you together. It can depend on your needs and how old the child is.

If you need more support with other health care, we will help you find the right one. This can be, for example, at child and adolescent psychiatry (BUP) or a healthcare centre (vårdcentral).

What does the law say?

The Healthcare Act states that children have the right to information and support. Everyone who works in healthcare should be able to give it to the children.

The Convention on the Rights of the Child states that all children have the right to say what they think when it concerns them.

In order for the healthcare staff to be able to help the children, we ask all patients if they live with children under the age of 18. It can be your own children, someone else's child or siblings.

If you have questions

If you have questions about children and your disability, you can talk to someone at the habilitation clinic you are in contact with. You can also ask to talk to the children's representative (barnombud). There is a children's representative at each adult habilitation center.